- The Rankings have been updated after the NYDD. Participants still have till the end of January to register and get full points for this event. Those who are new members that mailed in their registration have not yet been processed.
- As per our email on Friday, the 2014 Awards Ceremony is being planned for 7PM April 27th or 28th near the west side of Madison. Let us know your date preference. Any contemplations about the 2014 Rankings must be submitted by April 8th.
- The Rankings have been updated after Freeze for Food. Early January entries were set back to Jan 1 to assure full points starting with NYDD. Entries from this point forward will only be participation points retroactive for prior races.
- The 2014 Rankings were updated again today to include some recent adjustments. Please check the 2014 Rankings. If you find you are not shown for a given race whether from an error in race results or for whatever reason, please let us know.
- The WTC 3k will be on July 10th. Up until days ago, the WTC 3k was indicated as a date not confirmed. It is confirmed to be July 10th. Also, please be aware that there are other WTC track series events, while they will not be scored in MARS rankings, you might be interested in those. See the WTC Info (click on web site) for more info.
- As we mentioned on Jan 19th 2014, the awards ceremony will be held on February 27th 2014 7:30PM. The location is Fleet Feet Madison located on Old Sauk Road. Again, the 2013 rankings are basically frozen at this point in time, but you may still inquire.
- The 2013 Rankings are tentatively final (we have extended the original timeline for inquiries), and are up to date as per any inquiries we have had as of the present time. Please let us know if you are missing from a particular event. Items to highlight: relays, walk events, race 13 - Huffin for Habitat as these are items which we may not have results/complete results. So you must come to us. Please let us know by Saturday (feb 8) ASAP, and still let us know thereafter ASAP as we may be able to get you in!!!
- The 2013 Awards ceremony will be on February 27 2014 at 7:30PM. Please mark your calendar if you have competed in at least three events. All participants who ran three or more events are eligible for free race entries and certain door prizes. More information will be disclosed on the Awards page at a later date.
Please check the 2013 Rankings and notify us if you are not showing up in any event you attended. Jan 29th is the last day for submissions.
- The Rankings have been updated after Depot to Depot and overall results posted. We are starting to post overall results on the MARS site again for each race in a more timely fashion. We will be doing this for past races for this 2013 year to have complete results on our site where you can more easily find them.
- Rankings updated after the Black Earth Run. Please note that some past participants that registered for 2013 with a past registration from 2011 or 2010 and have been granted registration on or before their first race of the 2013 year.
- Rankings have been updated after the 50 Furlong. Please note: someone lost there wallet near or just outside the pub at approximately 10:40 to 11:10AM during registration for the race. Please Contact us ASAP if you have any information or noticed you accidentally picked up the wallet thinking it was yours!
- Complete MARS 2012 Rankings have been posted. Remaining exceptions: notify us if you volunteered, were in an event that was not timed such as a walk, or found an error somewhere. The 50 Furlong has not been included in the results at this time.
- We have not set the exact date for the awards ceremony. We are allowing more time for participants to give us feedback about any points they might be eligible for in the rankings. We were to close to make it this week for the awards ceremony and have enough lead time to let participants know.
- The 2012 Rankings are available and quite current with the exception of a few new participants that have joined or renewed this year. We are currently contemplating how to score the 50 Furlong, and may resort to participation points only.
- Check the 2011 Rankings and give us your feedback before the awards ceremony, which is intended to occur within the same week (very beginning part of May) of the Lake Monona Run. Rankings will remain unchanged until Friday morning 04/20/2012, where some minor updates will occur.
- The Awards Ceremony will be on Thu Feb 10th at 7:15PM at Fleet Feet Madison at 8440 Old Sauk Road. Prizes will be given away to the overall male and female and top six participants in each age group. Additionally, free races will be given to those who have completed three or more races. You must be present at the awards ceremony to receive free races.
- The 2010 rankings have been updated and will become final on Fri Feb 4th 2011 after we have received any last input from participants before that time. The small number of cases with missing points as discussed prior have been recently addressed. Participants are encouraged to check the rankings for accuracy and contact us AND make sure you are currently registered for 2010 (shown in MARS account), If not, contact us ASAP.
- The 2010 rankings now include the last 5 races. Thanks for waiting. There are a small number of cases with missing points, which will be addressed in the days following today. Participants are encouraged to check the rankings for accuracy and contact us even while known issues are currently being addressed.
- The Rankings for the 2009 year are now final and will be used for the purposes of awards. The top 12 races are used for analyzing competition against others in your age group. Other awards will be given away.
- The rankings have been updated after the Berbee Derby. The rankings are intended to be complete, but are not yet final. If you suspect something is not correct with the rankings, please contact as ASAP. All registrations for the 2009 year were completed as of 11/27/2009. Registration for the 2010 year will be coming soon.
- The Rankings have been updated after the StrawberryFest. A significant number of times in the 10k were shifted. Let us know your time if it is not correct. All MARS Mail-in entries since 06/08/2009 have been included.
- The Rankings have been unofficially posted for Crazylegs Classic. The rankings will be complete as soon as possible, and an announcement will be made when they are complete. All mail-in entries since 04/24/2009 have been included.
- The Press and Run is no longer part of the series. Additionally, the Press and Run does not have a scheduled date at this time. Plans for finalizing the series calendar and taking the loss of the Press and Run into account are currently under way.
- The Rankings have been updated after the Valentine's 5k. All mail-in entries prior to 02/13/2009 have been included. The Valentine's 5k had a very much unexpected number of new entries on race day, and this made an even more amazing turnout this year reaching 430 finishers.
- The Rankings have been updated after the Freeze for Food Race. Mail-in entries before 01/23/2009 have been included. Notice about the NYDD and Freeze for Food Results: In the Freeze for Food results, there are some unknown runners. Please notify us ASAP if you were a missing runner. In addition, it was not possible to compensate the time for the original three leaders that ran the further route. Those three runners will keep the total time recorded. For the NYDD: please notify us ASAP if you were in the walkers race or the kids race.
- The Rankings have been updated after the New Years Day Dash. We have not checked mail-in entries yet for this year, so wait until the next race to show up in the rankings if you mailed in your entry. Walkers and kids have not been included. Also, for those who would like a MARS shirt and would like to contribute to MARS or have not yet registered for this year, please go to the Register Section.
- There are a limited amount of pictures available from the awards ceremony. For those who did not get a chance to attend the awards ceremony, you might also be interested in the pictures of the trophies. All pictures can be found in your MARS account.
- The rankings now include all people known to be missing in the overall results for the MATC TT. The Rankings will be considered final on 11/04/2008 1PM CST. Any errors must be reported prior to then.
- The Rankings have been updated after the MATC Turkey Trot. The top competitor for total points this year in the Male 40s age group is possibly missing 10 points for the 5mi, thus all other participants in the 5mi may jump down by one point. All Mail-in entries that arrived prior 12 noon today have been included, and any that might come in later will be disregarded for the 2008 year.
- The rankings now include the the STS 3k results. Those who participated in the STS 3k week 1 have 5 points added to their totals. All mail-in entries that were on or before 07/11/2008 are now included.
- Jerrys Race has a Hometown Teams Challenge 5k road (no longer an XC course) race. MARS is helping to form teams for this new series race as of today! Form a team with people you know, and also find and post comments to other teammates that are part of the series.
- The WTC STS 3k has been rescheduled to July 10th. The first STS was still held today (06/12) and 8 MARS participants showed up to receive participation points that will be added to the July 10th race.
- The second featuring of the year is the people on the MARS teaM. The MARS teaM participants were a group of people who participated as the first team in the entire history of the series. Find them in the athlete's section.
- MARS is gathering information from its athletes to help others find out more about one another. Those MARS members which have acquired the proper status can submit their information by logging into their MARS account.
- The rankings have been changed to the current rules, which gives most underrepresented individuals more points. Also, those on the Crazylegs MARS TEAM now have one point added to their totals. The past rankings (as of 04/30/2008) and the changes for each person for each race are highlighted in files available in your MARS account.
- The rules for 2008 have been posted. They are very similar to the previous year's rules. One of the major changes includes a change to the point system that will become effective on 05/01/2008 12:00 24Hr for all future and prior 2008 races. This change in the point system allows for better recognition of more participants. Further explanations to changes in the rules were provided via email. Other changes to the rules occurred that were minor.
- The Rankings now include results for all 8k runners and those new runners whose entry forms which arrived before April 25th. Any walkers who participated in the race should contact us. The rankings point scoring will change in the very near future to recognize more participants.
- The athlete section of the website has been just recently released today. A long time member, Erik Hendrickson is featured in this section. Rules and more activity will come later in the athlete section.
- On March 20th at 7:10PM, the MARS teaM formation section opened. MARS is helping to form teams for races in the series. The first one is the Crazylegs Classic. To join the MARS teaM for Crazylegs, go to your account login.
- After four weeks of delay the Valentines 5k, which turned into the V-lated 5k, occured on March 8th. The Rankings after the V-lated 5k have been posted. Running Club @UW-Madison members please contact us if you wanted to join but didn't get a chance on race day. Those who indicated "yes" to the series on FFF race forms have been included if you were a prior participant and weren't already signed up for this year.
- The rankings have been updated after the 50 Furlong race. Walkers and kids from the first event (NYDD) are now included. Those people who sent in mail-in registration prior to 02/20 are now included in the rankings.
- The Valentines 5k has found new name for this year, UW V-lated 5k, and a new date. This new date is March 8th. The race will be run the same as the Valentines 5k in previous years. Those people who already sent in their registration weeks ago will still be registered for March 8th. The name change is temporary for this year only as a result of a significant date change.
- The Valentines 5k is still in the process of rescheduling. Valentines directors and MARS is working to bring the event back another day. We are looking for volunteers. Please contact us if you can help. If no conflicts occur, the race will most likely be held on Feb 16th or Feb 23rd. A confirmed date is not available at this time. Please check back for updated information.
- The Vday race will not occur on Saturday. The race has been canceled as a result of weather-related safety concerns by UW campus officials. There is no information about rescheduling at this time. Please check your email or back here for updates.
- The MARS login section of the site was temporarily unaccepting logins from the evening of 01/29/2008 to the morning of 02/01/2008. There wasn't any notification to users that the section of site was inoperable with the exception of maintenance occuring on the night of 01/31/2008. Full operation resumed at 7:45AM 02/01/2008.
- The rankings previously only allowed selection by a specific age group, gender, and year. Now the Rankings have all selection options since this addition of wildcard selections. One exception is the ordering of results by top races, which is still unavailable.
- The rankings for the Freeze for Food Run have been posted. If you indicated "yes" on the Freeze for Food entry form to Madison Series, you may not be in the rankings, but will be in at a later time. Those who filled out a MARS form at the race are in the rankings. Some entries for the prior race (NYDD) were not entered into our system until now, and those participants should now be in the rankings except for the kids 1 mile and walkers.
- Almost all miscellaneous updates for the 2008 first quarter have been completed. This included significant changes to the About page, and the Registration page. Changes were also made on a number of other pages, but they were relatively small.
- The pending race of the three new races announced for this year is the Crazylegs Classic. The Crazylegs Classic has joined MARS along with the WSDC Badger State Games and Jerrys Race all as new races this year.
- If you are a prospective competitor for the series seeking to join, fill out our printable registration form. You can mail the form or submit it at any series race, including the New Year's Day Dash --instructions. All prior competitors are encouraged to register online.
- Information for Berbee Derby has been posted. The Berbee Derby is a non-MARS race, but remains as one of the few events left for the year to enjoy since the completion of the 2007 series. The Jingle Bell Run is also another event that comes later this year.
- The rankings page is undergoing changes. The page now offers sorted rankings by total points for a selectable age and gender for the 2007 year. The results are now also in a printer friendly format. The classic rankings will be available for at least a few more months. Prior year classic rankings from 2004 to 2006 will be unavailable temporarily.
- In the most recent posting, we gave full points regardless of when people signed up during the year. Participants (those who were not participants in 2006) are only allowed full points after they sign up, and participation points before signing up. We have recently updated the results to be consistent with our rules.
- The rankings have been posted for the entire year. Those who didn't sign up for 2007 have been dropped. The point totals have that last two races included. We encourage people to check the accuracy of the results and contact us if there are any errors.
- Registration forms for 2006 competitors desiring full points will be accepted at the Fall 15k (10/28), via mail post marked on or before 10/27/2007, and registration online that occurs before 11:59PM 10/27/2007. Registrations for competitors that occur after that time and on or before 11/03 will credit new and old members for participation points only. Forms will also be accepted at the MATC TT race.
- Our previously registered competitors that did not sign up this year will be dropped after 10/27/2007. You can register online or fill out our printable registration form. Please contact us if you don't know your login.
- News is now displayed with a different structure. The home page has the most recent news briefs as usual. The news page has all news excluding all news prior to 2007. All briefs and articles now have a title and time stamp.
Madison Area Running Series Newsletter - May Edition
Here we are half way through the 2007 Madison Area Running Series! Can you believe it is May already? Well, we thought it was time to give you some brief race reports. Be sure to check out the website to see how you rank in the series. www.madisonseries.com
We had a lot of people sign up for the series that morning, so it made it a competitive event. Wendy Miller was 3rd overall for women, taking first for the series and first in the 20-29 age division. Sandy Gregorich was second for the MARS participants, and Beth Schadd was third. And for men, Bill Gilmore took 9th overall, and first for men in the series that morning, and Ron Mexico was second in the series.
We hope that you enjoyed participating in the 2006 Madison Area Running Series. The year is now over and we are beginning to plan for 2007, the 4th year of the series. We are happy to report that the MARS has over 140 active participants as of today, and interest continues to grow.
The 20006 awards ceremony will be on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 at 7:15 pm, at Fleet Feet Sports Madison, located at 8440 Old Sauk Road, Madison. Even if you are not receiving an award, please come for the good company, food and drinks, and a chance to win a door prize. We will also discuss the 2007 MARS.
Our desire is to make MARS better, and we welcome your ideas and suggestions. In 2007, the MARS will do the following:
Send emails to all participants prior to each Series event.
Create a quarterly email newsletter introducing events and recapping highlights of previous races. (This is a new item, offered by Jessica at Fleet Feet Sports.)
Host a year-end banquet with trophies for the top three participants in each category, door prizes (from Fleet Feet and others) and food provided by Big Apple Bagels of Sun Prairie.
Thank you for your participation and we hope to see you again in 2007.
[11/09/2006 00:00:00]From: Paul Turpin, Jessica Anderson, Greg Kesling and the organizing Committee
Bigger things are planned for 2006, including a name change, to the Madison Area Running Series, which we hope state announce more clearly that this is a running series, but that joggers and walkers are very welcome. The planned list of events for 2006 is growing by 3 events to 16 races, but only the top 12 will be scored. This allows runners to miss or skip 4 events and still be in the running for year-end awards. Events for 2006 include the following (some dates may be tentative);
New Year's Day Dash 5 Mile Jan. 1 Freeze for Food 5K Jan. 21 Valentines Day 5K Feb. 11 50 Furlong (about 10K) Mar. 11 Black Earth 10 mile Apr. 1 Lake Monona 20K May 6 Dandelion Dash 5K June 10 Strawberry Fest 10K June 17 WTC 3K (tbd) Capitol Mile (July 23) Oregon Fun Run 5K Aug. 5 Depot To Depot 5 mile Aug. 12 Cow Chip Classic 5K Sept. 2 RSVP 5K (tbd) Fall 15K Oct. 22 MATC Turkey Trot 5 mile/5K Nov. 4
The Series is also planning to have a 2006 MARS Racing Shirt. The technical top will include a list of the 2006 events and our sponsor names. Stay tuned for ordering information. [update: a tshirt was not available]
The final events of the night were Fleet Feet door prizes, and a drawing for participants in the last three Series events, RSVP, Fall 15K, and Turkey Trot. Winners of the drawing for gift certificates were Mary Anne Hinkes, Ana Considine, Bev Lampe, and Tim Goihl.
Thanks for a great 2005 goes out to our participating running clubs and partners; the Running Club of UW, Hash House Harriers, the Wisconsin Track Club, Movin Shoes Running Club, MATC, and the Headhunters Triathlon Club, and to our race directors, without whom this would not be possible.
Year-End Awards for 2005 Madison Area Fitness Series
On November 16, 2005, participants and sponsors of the MAFS met at Fleet Feet Sports-Madison for awards, fun, food, and drinks. Tasty bagel sandwiches were provided by Big Apple Bagels, Sun Prairie. Fleet Feet provided the appropriate facility to talk running. Additional sponsors were RSVP of Dane County who provided logistical support, and Brooks, who provided two new pair of running shoes to the top male and female points gatherers.
The top three finishers in each age-group were announced, and presented with engraved trophies. Age group winners also either received a $10 gift certificate to Fleet Feet, courtesy of MAFS, or a free race entry into a 2006 Series race. They are as follows:
Joe Ketarkus, 1st Place Men 20-29 Will Hoyer, 2nd Place Men 20-29 Nick Rhodes, 3rd Place Men 20-29
Tim Goihl, 1st Place Men 30-39 Aaron Sundstrom, 2nd Place Men 30-39 John Freeman, 3rd Place Men 30-39
Ron Ofstun, 1st Place Men 40-49 Daniel Harris, 2nd Place Men 40-49 Jeff Bakken, 3rd Place Men 40-49
Greg Kesling - High Score, 1st Place Men 50-59 Jeff Pearman, 2nd Place Men 50-59 Billy Maybee, Jr., 3rd Place Men 50-59
John Schultz, 1st Place Men 60-69
Alison Ofstun, 1st Place Women Under 20 Amy Jacobs, 2nd Place Women Under 20 Kelsey Volenberg, 3rd Place Women Under 20
Wendy Miller, 1st Place Women 20-29 Jessica Anderson, 2nd Place Women 20-29 Emily Jaehnig, 3rd Place Women 20-29
Clarisse Ethridge , 1st Place Women 30-39 Beth Schadd, 2nd Place Women 30-39 Anna Boldon, 3rd Place Women 30-39
Mary Anne Hinkes - High Score, 1st Place Women 40-49 Karen Smith, 2nd Place Women 40-49 Sandra Gregorich, 3rd Place Women 40-49
Nancy Wiegand, 1st Place Women 50-59 Tina Loewenthal, 2nd Place Women 50-59 Janet Hagen, 3rd Place Women 50-59
Beverly Lampe, 1st Place Women 70-79
We had 8 brave souls that did all 13 races, they are as follows; Jeff Bakken, Tim Goihl, Bruce Maybee, Alison Ofstun, Dan Harris, Mary Anne Hinkes, Greg Kesling, and Billy Maybee, Jr. Nice job by these dedicated runners. The last 4 named even did both MATC events !
Please plan to attend a year-end ceremony to be held on November 17, 2004 at 7:00 pm. The purpose of the informal gathering is to thank the participants and RSVP, celebrate the year, and recognize the top runners. It will be held at my office on the west side of Madison at RMT, Inc. 744 Heartland Trail. All participants will be recognized, and small trophies awarded for the persons with the most points in each category. Desert and beverages will be provided.
We will also briefly discuss preliminary plans for 2005.
Please fill out the survey form and either bring it with you, email it to us, or mail it to:
Madison Area Fitness Series
517 N. Segoe Rd. Suite 300
Madison, WI 53705
Directions: Exit the Beltline on Old Sauk Road. Go west on Old Sauk through two traffic lights, past the Walgreens on the right, and take the next right, which is Heartland Trail. (If you get to the light at Pleasant View, you went too far.) 744 is straight in front of you. Go past the building and turn left on Deming Way and park in back.
[10/22/2004 00:00:00]From: Paul Turpin
This page is best viewed with a CSS2 capable web browser, such as Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 and later and Netscape Communicator 6 and later